July 31, 2026

Petal - Ariana Grande

As an enjoyer of Ariana's music since middle school, it made sense to me to make my first album rating/ranking about her! I was highly anticipating her album after eternal sunshine and brighter days ahead. The pre-release set the tone really well for this era despite people's comments (even though it's ironic how "hate that i made you love me" talks about that kind of issue). Hope you will enjoy my small comments about the album as much as I loved making them! 

kiss me: 4.5/5

Oh I felt like levitating from the very first second. The chorus is transcending. I'm at a loss for words. I'm used to strong starts from Ariana, as she proved it in her previous albums, but I was really into it and the feeling of freshness. She wasn’t kidding when she said she was releasing something different!

hate that I made you love me: 4.5/5

The deeper tone!! So many people from the fandom weren't excited about this release but I thought it truly set the tone for this new era and how versatile she can be with her voice. I've also seen people complain about how this album wasn't showing Ariana's capacities at her best but I'll have to disagree. We're hearing a woman expressing herself after years of being bashed and hiding herself. Moreover, we're hearing her versatility without a missed opportunity and this is how you show off as a singer and performer. The specific line from the bridge "I don't really think so" with the transition to the last chorus shocked me the first time I heard it on my way to work. 

petal: 3.5/5

The instrumental is captivating and intrigued me from the very start. The post chorus is doing things to me. This song is the perfect mix of dangerous woman's tentative side and eternal sunshine's growth and she's showing how each song is carefully chosen for a reason. Not the one I'll listen to immediately though, I have to admit..

stay: 4/5

Some parts of the instrumental are throwing me off and I couldn't not focus on them so I had to listen to the song twice to get it. 

oh well: 4/5 

I wasn't so interested in this one and then the chorus arrived. The pause at multiple times of the instrumental is truly well done to show her vocals and i think that's what made the difference from oh well and 

big feelings: 4/5

Oh this dangerous woman reminiscence. The deep tone during the bridge gave me chills. I'll never be the same woman after hearing it.

freak + warning signs (interlude) : 4.5/5

I've seen people on twitter saying it was the skip of the album and to say I was shocked is an understatement. Did we listen to the same track ? This is truly an excellent transition from eternal sunshine and I love how her instrumentals are out of this world. It's like hearing a part of her and what truly moves her.

like i do: 4/5

I just know the worst person you know will be using this sound to justify her bad attitude. We love to hear mature antagonist freaky sounds from her.

never get over me: 4/5

This song will be used for a movie scene. At this point I'm only repeating myself by saying that the femme fatale sound is working on me. The chorus is such a perfect mix of her mesmerizing voice with an enchanting instrumental. The piano adds flavor to the mature theme of this song.

bad thing (bunny hop): 5/5

To say I was shocked is an understatement. I didn't know I could be this surprised in this album and she showed me otherwise. Having a band song was such a good idea and I never thought it would bring such a positive outcome to the album. Am I feeling like a girl hearing her favorite band at a concert ? absolutely. Do I need her to lean towards this genre ? YES!!

nowhere, nobody: 4.5/5

Such a way to end an album (people better not talk about it the way they talked about ordinary things). It reminds me of eras like sweetener and eternal sunshine but also her vcr during this tour with her old selfs, moving on and healing. 

Here is my first ranking of the 'petal' album: 

  1.  bad thing (bunny hop) 

  2. kiss me 

  3. nowhere, nobody 

  4. freak + warning signs (interlude)

  5. hate that i made you love me 

  6. oh well 

  7. big feelings 

  8. never get over me 

  9. stay 

  10. like i do 

  11. petal

Overall this album was a great way of coming back with something totally different. I truly hope this isn't a goodbye forever but a lean towards new beginnings and finding what moves her now. 

Don’t hesitate to share your thoughts about the albums or some songs. I would love to read what you have to say! Also, if you have recommendations of albums or sounds I should listen to or talk about in one of my articles, please share them!! Music is one subject I’ll never get bored of!

No comments:

Post a Comment